Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Roaming Grounds

January 6, 2013

Sounds like things at home are very good! I'm glad to hear everything is going so well. And I can't believe Ben and Mitch are home! I love and miss them so much. I would like to make an announcement: I have been reassigned to the Takaoka, Portugese speaking mission haha. I'm kidding, but for reals, it's just been Portuguese and a lot of Brazilians the whole time. We have this one member, Arisawa Marcelo, who owns a lot of factories and gives jobs to Brazilians or people that need help. He is like the Bill Gates of Japan. He is so nice and fun. I can also say I have been very well fed here too. So much Brazilian meat and just a lot of food period.

Well for starters, the transfer was quite an adventure. Ellsworth gave me three options: wait an extra day and go with someone from Nagoya, go by myself from Nagoya, or find a guy and have Nancy take me. So I took the third option haha. Nancy, Karen, Chiaki, and a friend of Chiaki all drove together from Matsumoto to Takaoka. It was way fun and super pretty. We went up through Takeyama and Toyama. We met at the Kanazawa Station. It was way fun and way hard to leave not only them, but Matsumoto. There so long and got so close with a bunch of people.

So the area is interesting. It's not really what I was expecting. A third of the ward is Brazilian, a third Japanese, and the other are special. The last Elder here died and just gave up, so there isn't really much to work with. It also snowed for three days straight and I didn't get my luggage until Saturday. This past week was good, a tough start. But yesterday we had quite the surprise! I was giving a talk to introduce myself and I looked up and saw Nancy, Karen, Chiaki, and Shunji walk into the chapel. I couldn't believe it. They came to see me and come to church here! It was way fun, we went to Arisawa's house after and had a big Brazilian BBQ.

I don't know what's really in store for this area. I don't know Portuguese and it's cold, so it should be a very interesting experience here. I probably will die here too, weird to think about that. I love you all and thanks for everything!

Calling from my new roaming grounds,

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment